I’m sitting here on the floor writing this post. Why am I sitting on the floor? Because I have no living room couch. I have a TV stand, a small bookcase, a children’s table and two chairs and an endless supply of beige carpets and walls. And you all know how much I love the colour beige (ugh – puke).
So, my unfortunate lack furniture may not be that bad except I cannot invite anyone, and I mean anyone, to my house. Being an interior designer, this house rains so much shame on me that I’m drowning in it. We have an old Egyptian saying that goes “The carpenter’s door is always in need of repair.” If you didn’t get that, all you need to know is shame on me, shame on me, shame on me for having a house looking like this. I can’t even invite Adam’s classmates over for a play date (enter the pity sighs).
But we’re finally taking action and buying some key furniture pieces for our house after our trip to Vancouver. And there is my dilemma. I’m totally lost, I don’t know what to do. I can’t make a mood board because I can’t change the walls or carpets and I refuse to work with beige. I don’t know what sizes to buy because I don’t know how long we’re staying here and what size our next house will be. And I don’t know whether to save and buy everything I need or splurge and by piece-by-piece.
Since I don’t know many stores here yet, I have to go with the big brand names. I also have a very modern, simple taste, so some of the stores like The Brick and Sears are not my type of thing. And while I love IKEA, and all, I can’t fully furnish my house from it. But if I go over to Potter Barn or Crate & Barrel or Ethan Allen I won’t be able to buy everything I need, I may get a great couch but end up putting my computer on the floor because there is no desk.
So here is the list of my current furniture needs. These are the basic needs. I’m not even thinking luxury items. Carpets and lamps can wait.
– A bed: I sleep on a mattress on the floor. But that I think is settled. I’m buying this one:
– A couch: So, so many options. Looking for a small two seater in a dark colour. Should I get IKEA? Or a beautiful C&B or PB one? What’s the difference? IKEA is around $900. PB & C&B range from $1700-$2500.
– Chair: I want to get this lazy boy. I had it in my home in Egypt and it was solo comfortable. But I also love all those upholstered chairs out there, so pretty. And I don’t know which to get.
– A desk with a filing cabinet and a working table. Our home computer and printer is currently in a box on the floor. I’m going back and forth between the PB set or the IKEA extremely modern desk (which I would mix and match storage and working table with). They are two totally different styles. And the problem is, if I get everything I need they will set me back from $900 (IKEA) to $1200 (PB).
– Book case: But that is easy too because eI’m doing the Hemnes serious. II’m just adding units to the one I currently have to make a complete system. But I need to decide which wall to put it up against as that will affect how many units I buy.
– Coffee table: A nice to have but I can ignore for awhile. I would an upholstered ottoman but haven’t seen one I like.
Now that you’re all aware of my dilemma, any advice? I’m pretty sure my husband will be extremely grateful if you helped me make up my mind.